Primarily used as an email client, Microsoft Outlook is one of the apps that come accompanied by other apps included in the Microsoft Office suite. With the help of this application, you cannot only manage your emails on the go but it also comes with features such as calendaring, task scheduling, and contact managing, and so on. The multi-faceted features present in this app are making users use it more than ever. But, on the flip side, the long-term usage of this app may result in something that you do not want, eye strain. Yes, in this post, we are going to have a comprehensive discussion on helping you reduce the eye strain that you may have due to the long usage of the Outlook app.
Well, to reduce the eye strain of Outlook users, Microsoft has developed a feature which is known as “Dark Mode” or “Dark Theme”. Once you enable this theme on your Outlook app or web interface, the background as well as other things will change its colors. In the dark mode, the background of the user interface would become black and the brightness of the screen will also be reduced.
So, in this post, we are going to have a look at the steps with which you can enable and disable this dark theme on the Outlook application as well as the Outlook web interface. First up, we shall learn about enabling the dark mode on the Outlook application, then disabling it, then doing the same on the desktop platform. So, without wasting much time, let’s get started with these procedures.
Enabling the dark mode/theme in the Outlook app
By making the necessary changes in the color scheme of this program, you can easily make Outlook look the way you want. To do so, you can follow the steps that are listed below:
- Launch Outlook on your mobile device
- Now, you need to click on the “File” menu on the toolbar at the top
- Then, you will see a page named “Account Information”
- Now, navigate to the sidebar at the left of the page
- From here, find and click on the “Office account” option
- It’s time to find the “Office Theme” option
- Now, click on it to open the drop-down menu
- From the drop-down that opens, select “Black”
Know Also >> Microsoft Visio Added to Microsoft Office 365
Now, you can go back to your inbox by tapping on the back arrow and you will see that the Outlook background has turned black. After you have learned the important steps to turn on the dark mode in Microsoft Outlook, now you must be curious to know about the process with which you can turn it off, whenever needed. So, let us begin with the process to disable the dark theme by having a look at the section that follows.
Turning off the dark mode in Outlook
For instantly switching from dark mode to the normal mode in the current window on Outlook, you can locate the dark mode toggle button on your screen and then click on it to disable the dark theme. However, to disable the dark mode completely in Outlook, you can follow the steps that are listed below:
- Again, launch the Outlook application on your device
- Now, click on the “File” tab available in the toolbar
- From that menu, choose “Options”
- And, then select “Office Themes” in the “General” tab
- This option would be available in the “Personalize your copy of Microsoft Office” section
- Moving on, again you need to click on the drop-down menu
- And then, select the “White” option
- Make other necessary personalization and you’re done
How to enable or disable dark mode in Outlook web?
If you are using Outlook directly from your web browser, you can follow the steps that are given below to make the necessary changes in the settings for enabling or disabling the dark theme:
- The first thing that you need to do is go to Outlook.com from your browser
- Or, you can go to office.com/setup and open Outlook from there
- Now, click on the gear-like icon to access the Outlook Settings menu
- Then, you need to scroll and look for the “Dark Mode” setting
- Next up, you have to click on the button that is present next to it
- This will darken the theme of your Outlook user interface
Know Also >> Microsoft 365 Free Trial: How to get it, install or cancel it?
Note: To disable the dark mode, you can use the same button that is present next to the “Dark Mode” option.
If you are using Outlook early in the morning or during the nighttime, you might want to decrease its brightness and lessen the contrast of colors on your screen. To help users with this, Microsoft has come up with the option to enable and disable “Dark Mode” settings in its applications. In this post, we have specifically learned about using the Dark theme, especially in Outlook. Expectantly, you have found the details mentioned here helpful. If you want your colleagues or friends to learn about the same, you can share this post with them as well.